Monday, April 8, 2013

Dyeing with food safe dyes

I'm no where near an expert on these things... In fact, I'm quite the opposite.  Just a beginner.  But I can say that it's a lot of fun!
The left one is my attempt to make a red yarn.  I had food coloring, and didn't want primary red colored yarn, so I ended up adding a random ratio of the other colors to the red.  I ended up with a bit more of a magenta/pink semi-solid, but I'm pretty happy with it.  I am also completely out of red food coloring.  Apparently, this could get more pricey than one may have originally thought.
The right one was my attempt at using kool aid to create a gradient yarn.  I used 5 different packs of kool aid and ended up having to use a bit of food coloring to finish it off.  It was a good trial run.  I discovered that you need way more kool aid than expected to get the desired color.  Guess it's always good to keep learning.

Needless to say, I quite enjoyed that, and plan on experimenting more.  I just hope my undyed yarn supply can keep up!  I think I only have one more undyed skein.  Maybe I should go ahead and purchase a bunch more.  Wonder what WEBS has in stock.  Hmmmmm!

1 comment:

  1. Check out this Rav group - http://www.ravelry.com/groups/what-a-kool-way-to-dye

    You can also use Wilton cake dyes successfully to get a wider range of colors.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete